Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Friday, May 25, 2007

Sunbelt Competitive Update for $9.95

I often am asked for advice on what AntiSpyware programs to use in addition to WinPatrol’s protection. It’s not a question I can always answer because it really depends on who’s using the computer and what their online habits are.  Anyone with a brain will tell you never depend on just one security program.


My daughter Amy uses CounterSpy from Sunbelt Software and has been pretty happy. I’ve had a chance to meet some of the folks at Sunbelt and consider them good people.


Software sales are always a little slow in the summer so Sunbelt has come up with a way to keep their sales people busy.  They’re offering their Counter Spy version 2 software for as low as $9.95. It’s a competitive upgrade offer but it appears they’ll take your word on what competitor you’ve been using. 


For $9.95,  I think it’s worth checking it out. You have until June 30th.   More Info

Click her to read what PC Magazines guru Neil Rubenking thinks

Share on Facebook


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of Alex's blog and have heard many great things about CounterSpy. I recently took advantage of the upgrade and, so far, so good.

I will say one questionable thing about the PC Mag review. Upon upgrading one is presented with an option for a trial subscription (i think it's a trial) to PC Magazine. I did NOT check the option. (I do not hold PC Mag in high regard.)

Yet, I was told I am getting the trial subscription, nonetheless. I found that a little bit shady. I think, because of that conflict of interest, the review should be corroborated with another source.

I REALLY hope, should I forget to cancel the trial subscription I neither wanted nor chose, my credit card is not charged with a renewal. If so, this looks to be a very sleazy deal, I cannot recommend.

OTOH, if it is a no-risk trial (no automatic renewal) and my information is not shared with PC Mag, then the deal looks to be a good one. The review, however, is still tainted, IMO.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the Internet Marketing Manager for Sunbelt and I wanted to clarify the comments regarding the PC Magazine subscription. If you purchase CounterSpy, a subscription is included to PC Magazine at no cost to you. It is a special offer and only available for a limited time. It is added to your cart as a bonus, but you CAN remove using the delete "trash can" feature, if you choose to do so. It is not a trial subscription and you will never receive a bill.

As the person who put this offer together, I can tell you it is nothing more than a value add for Sunbelt customers. You will have the option to renew your subscription to PC Magazine, once the year has passed, just as you would with any magazine, but we do not share your credit card billing information and it will NOT automatically renew.

I hope this clears it up! The PC Mag offer is only valid for US customers, by the way. To me, it's a great deal, but you're free to opt out of the bonus subscription, if you choose to do so.

Leslie Blahnik
Internet Marketing Manager
Sunbelt Software

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clarification. For the record, I did uncheck the PC Mag offer, but apparently I am going to receive it.

As long as you do not share the credit card info (which would allow for automatic renewal) this is truly a terrific bonus.

Thanks again.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home