Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

New Task Catcher Feedback Requested

I’ve been very happy with the feedback and support I’ve recieved from my WinPatrol users over the years. A few years ago I added to my list of utilities a program called Task Catcher. While not as well known as WinPatrol, Task Catcher has still have a small group of loyal followers. Unfortunately, I’ve been so busy making WinPatrol better I have let Task Catcher lauguish.

Task Catcher

The main reason for creating Task Catcher was to monitor and help restart a program if for some reason it fails or has been closed without your knowledge. It’s something I wanted myself to help restart a server on my work computer and also protect my security programs from being closed down by malware.

While WinPatrol’s main focus is on Startup programs and registry changes, Task Catcher with Lady the Kitty concentrates on actively running programs or tasks. If you want to be sure particular programs are always running you can add them to the programs “Watch List”.

Add Task to Watch List
Task Catcher 2.0 Add Watch List Dialog


The next version of Task Catcher has a few improvements like the dialog above but I’m looking for more. If you have a specific need that relates to active tasks let me know. Email support@WinPatrol.com.


So far the functionality of Task Catcher 2.0 will include

  • Real-time monitoring without impact to performance.
  • Watch List: Monitor is Programs are no longer running. Programs will either automatically be restarted or you’ll be notified and given that option.
  • Black List: Block particular “known” programs from running either silently or with some notice.
  • Track Usage: Monitor the usage of a particular program and log how often it’s used
  • WinPatrol PLUS members will have access to PLUS Info from Task Catcher
  • Active Tasks: Display task info including when a first launched.

Task Catcher
Task Catcher Watch List


What information would you like to see included under Active Tasks? Any other task related monitoring you can suggestion? Let me know.

Anyone who purchases the current $12.95 Task Catcher after June 1st will be eligible for free upgrades to version 2.0 when it’s available. http://taskcatcher.com/

Labels:

Share on Facebook


5 Comments:

Blogger JusJane said...

I cannot remember if Task Catcher was a purchase in the beginning or not. I've had lady run since day one, but she never shows in task bar unless I've had a crash and then I don't really know what to do with her.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Indiana Jones said...

Bill:

This isn't a specific need, just a preference: If Scotty has a voice when you open WinPatrol, why can't Lady?

Otherwise, a great product. Looking forward to version 2.0.

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to ask, does winpatrol work well with an antivirus and firewall setup like Comodo?

5:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, WinPatrol works and plays well with others.


Bill

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the next version of Task Catcher Bill will add something like Unlocker v1.9.0 that can close handle of the file. When a file is locked, a window listing of lockers will appear and we just click unlock or kill or anything like it.

3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home